Re: gcc-4.8.x import

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014, Greg Troxel wrote:
So I thought that I only said "please call it gcc48, not yagcc or
something else that's hard to understand".  I don't see how that leads
to more files than what you were proposing.

There's a bug/limitation in cvs such that use of "cvs update -dP" or "cvs checkout -P" creates and then deletes any directories that are present in older or newer revisions of the tree, but are not present in the current or desired revision. For large subtrees, this can incur a significant cost in client/server data transfer and client disk I/O, and it applies to every use of "cvs update" in every working tree for every user forever after the subtree was ostensibly deleted.

In pkgsrc, where the subtrees that get deleted are relatively small, it's much less of an issue. For gcc in the src tree, where there are more than 5000 subdirectories in src/external/gplv3/gcc, it may be worth suffering suboptimal naming to reduce the "cvs update" overhead.

--apb (Alan Barrett)