Re: gcc-4.8.x import

christos%zoulas.com@localhost (Christos Zoulas) writes:

> The current plan is to keep two versions of gcc in the tree; the
> previous one and the current one. By importing the gcc-4.8.x in
> /usr/src/external/gpl3/{cgg,ccg,yagcc} (pick one) we can bounce
> back and forth between that directory and /usr/src/external/gpl3/gcc.

This sounds reasonable to me.  My general opinion, based on pkgsrc where
situations like this arise all the time, is to decide either

  the world is such that only one copy will ever be needed ==> just use
  the name

  sometimes >1 copy will be needed ==> always use version suffix

and also try not to rename existing packages/directories, because the
cost of renaming is usually worse than the benefit of purity.

So this says the new directory should be

  /usr/src/external/gpl3/gcc48

which will be unconfusing.  Later, we might add gcc49 and remove the
plain gcc.