Re: in which we present an ugly hack to make sys/queue.h CIRCLEQ work

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Ken Hornstein
<kenh%cmf.nrl.navy.mil@localhost> wrote:
> I see that at least on MacOS X, sys/queue.h contains the following note:
>
>  * Note that circle queues are deprecated, because, as the removal log
>  * in FreeBSD states, "CIRCLEQs are a disgrace to everything Knuth taught
>  * us in Volume 1 Chapter 2. [...] Use TAILQ instead, it provides the same
>  * functionality." Code using them will continue to compile, but they
>  * are no longer documented on the man page.
>
> I don't think I'm knowledgable enough to speak to the accuracy of that
> comment, but would it be simpler just to migrate all of the code over to
> TAILQ if the CIRCLEQ ABI is broken as designed?

It should not be too hard.  Actually, after I mirgrated CIRCLEQ to
TAILQ in nvi2's code,

  https://github.com/lichray/nvi2/commits/master?page=9

FreeBSD base already has absolutely no code using CIRCLEQ.

So my suggestion is simple: nuke it out.

--
Zhihao Yuan, ID lichray
4BSD -- http://4bsd.biz/