Re: /etc/rc.d/ as a bunch of symlinks

At 10:34 Uhr -0400 8.10.2013, matthew sporleder wrote:
>In my case I use pkgsrc postfix instead of base postfix.
>
>Right now I do this:
>cp /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/postfix /etc/rc.d/postfix
>
>which replacing the provided postfix.
>
>-----
>
>I think we should move the existing rc.d scripts to somewhere else and
>then use symlinks to manage rc.d/

...which would save you what, exactly?

Replacing a symlink is not exactly much of a win over copying said file,
and you can always recover the original from the etc.tgz tarball (if you
forgot to keep it). Plus, we are talking about how many daemons in base
that you could replace with pkgsrc versions?

The fact that this smells strongly of linuxoid /etc/rc?.d mazes doesn't
help, either...

My 0.02 EUR,
hauke