Re: /etc/rc.d/ as a bunch of symlinks

  Hello,

matthew sporleder <msporleder%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> This morning I was trying to think about the use-case of replacing an
> in-tree component with a pkgsrc version.
>
> In my case I use pkgsrc postfix instead of base postfix.
>
> Right now I do this:
> cp /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/postfix /etc/rc.d/postfix
>
> which replacing the provided postfix.
>
> -----
>
> I think we should move the existing rc.d scripts to somewhere else and
> then use symlinks to manage rc.d/

I don't think this is that useful.

If you invest time into managing replacing parts of the base system,
it is not actually hard for you to invest time into doing such trivial
thing that you propose. Doing it for everyone makes system more complex
for everyone without any benefit.

Besides, you can replace postfix less intrusively by redefining
few variables in rc.conf (e.g. "postfix_command", "spooletcdir",
and "postconf").

--
BCE HA MOPE!