Re: NAME= and UUID= - Re: "dynamic" fstab

hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost (Hauke Fath) writes:

>At 18:20 Uhr +0400 28.4.2013, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
>>Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
>>> I already mount them by name and am quite happy with it.
>>> Example line from my fstab:
>>> NAME=bigstuff   /disk/bigstuff ffs     rw,log  2 2
>>
>>Is this feature present in NetBSD 6?
>>Is it possible to pull it up?
>>It would be nice to have UUID still.

>Agreed. It would make installations like

># df | awk '/\/dk/ { print $1 }' | wc -l
>      11
>#

It's not in NetBSD6, but since it is a pure userland feature,
it should be possible to create a patch for NetBSD6. After
all the first version of the code was made for NetBSD4. Someone
has to decide wether this is worthwhile.

A wedge has a name, not a UUID. A GPT partition has a UUID
that is used as the wedge name unless the partition is labeled,
then the label is used as the wedge name.

So for GPT you can get what you want, don't label the partitions
just use the default. For other partition formats there is no UUID
to chose from.

If you want to use both, the UUID and the partition label (and
whatever you may think of) as wedge names, then the wedge code
needs to learn the concept of aliases.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost