Re: A draft for a multibyte and multi-codepoint C string interface

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 07:56:55PM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:

> That's consistent with my experience: I can't think of one
> time when ligatures in English text weren't recognized as separate
> letters when the "the formatting was removed" (however that
> might have been done).

There used to be some real ligatures in english, but they have all
gone out of fashion. There is a page on wikipedia listing them.
(This is separate from "fi" being kerned into a single glyph.)

A simalar one might be the German "ss" - which I seem to remember being
told is being phased out.

Also "cooperation" used to have a 'double dot' over the second 'o'
to indicate that there are two short 'o' sounds.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost