Re: Functions locality and instruction fetch

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 22:23:52 +0000
David Laight <> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 08:54:19PM +0000, Sad Clouds wrote:
> >
> > I guess the reason I wanted to put frequently executed functions
> > together was to improve the locality of reference and reduce iTLB
> > mises.
> Best way to do that is using larger pages.
> I think large pages will use single TLB, the trick is to manage to
> use them when mapping user objects.
>       David
> --
> David Laight:

Yes, Solaris has good support for multiple page sizes, although if I
remember correctly, I ran some benchmarks with a custom slab allocator,
which has options to map memory using larger pages, and I didn't really
get any noticeable improvement in performance. Maybe the system was not
under high enough load to cause TLB thrashing.

Unfortunately I don't think NetBSD supports multiple page sizes yet.