Re: Moving pthread_(cond|mutex) to libc

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:24:51AM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > I do not. The problem (see the thread in tech-pkg) is that I have a
> > program that uses thread-unrelated stuff in libgobject-2.0.so, and
> > libglobject-2.0.so contains thread-related stuff I do not use, which
> > cause it to be linked with -lpthread.
>
> This is either a bug in libgobject (it should be separated into two
> libraries) or a bug in the application (it cannot link to a library that
> uses threads unless it is compiled with -pthread).

The program is a PAM module. It is loaded through dlopen from non
threaded programs (sendmail, dovecot). This is fine and worked fine
prior 6.0 since the PAM module does not use threads.

Your anlysis leads us to consider pthread stuff in libgobject being
a bug. I am not sure it is fair that the limitation of our implementation
dictates the functuionnalities third parties may fold into their libraries.

IMO the bug here is NetBSD enforcing a petty rule that breaks software,
fix nothing, and has no workaround (yet).

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu%netbsd.org@localhost