Re: proplib and the jet age

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 08:16:31PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> It seems to me that the basic complaints, reflecting real problems,
> are the following:
>
> (1) It was never clear whether proplib is supposed to be a data
> *transfer* API (that is, data lives in application data structures and
> gets loaded into and out of proplib only for shipment) or a data
> *storage* API (that is, data lives in proplib and applications use
> proplib to access it). As a result of this proplib has aspects of both
> these things and is a good solution for neither.

According to this definition, I have to come to think of it as a
data transfer API of a very narrow type: essentially it is one for
transferring in one "bundle" several datums of the sort that sysctl(3)
moves between the user and kernel.  Now, what to call that?  A MIB?
Anyway, I've come to think of sysctl and proplib as both unnecessarily
hard to use *and* redundant with each other.

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981