Re: proplib and the jet age

On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 10:04:11AM +0100, Marc Balmer wrote:
 > > The chief question, therefore, is what data model the new stuff should
 > > support. There are at least seven obvious candidates I can think of:
 > >
 > > [snip]
 >
 > Let me add another option here: Lua could be used just for that.

Lua is not itself a data model. It *has* a data model for data
appearing in Lua programs. One could use that, but as far as I know
it's an instance of (c).

If you're talking about using Lua syntax as the transfer format, I
don't see any advantage over e.g. JSON and the disadvantage of being
much less widely used elsewhere.

If you're talking about using the Lua interpreter to receive data by
executing incoming data as code and dumping out the Lua tables found
in the interpreter afterwards... in addition to the obvious hazards of
making things executable that shouldn't be, this is a very expensive
and ass-backwards way to avoid writing 500 lines of parsing code, and
I don't see the point.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost