Re: bug in sh, probably, with test case

On 2012-12-20 17:03, Christos Zoulas wrote:
Can't be more broken than how it is currently. Just look at the PR's
in the test suite. I was actually going to replace all the variable
expansion code with the code in current ash, because it seems to work
better. Of course having a more exhausting test suite would give me
more confidence to do that :-)

What are your thoughts about adopting DASH (the Debian Almquist Shell)? It is a direct descendant of NetBSD's shell from back in 1997. It is (mostly?) BSD licensed.

DASH is the most conformant shell I've seen. I have yet to find a conformance bug in DASH, and I really push shells to their limits.

Who knows if the code meets NetBSD's standards, but it does compile without warnings on amd64 and seems to run OK. I don't know how it differs in implementation-defined behavior, so it's possible all sorts of non-portable scripts will break.

DASH is the default /bin/sh for Debian and its derivatives (Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) so it is well exercised.

http://gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/dash/
https://git.kernel.org/?p=utils/dash/dash.git

-Richard