Re: global full-text search for NetBSD

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 02:47:45PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> There are other places to get a full-featured desktop with a Unix
> shell included -- OS X, Linux, even Windows with Cygwin.  But there
> aren't a lot of places to get that fundamental slimness and elegance
> you will find in a minimal NetBSD distribution, and it would be nice
> to not give that away by mispackaging features we would like to have
> available on NetBSD _somehow_ in the service of catching up with
> others on the desktop.

I agree (I think) with Thor:  I don't think that global FTS entails
desktop computing, or vice versa.  In other words, I see global
full-text search and desktop computing as orthogonal topics.

I also agree with keeps NetBSD functions separable, and working
towards more separability rather than less.  I've made NetBSD embedded
systems in the past that lacked all manual pages and the machinery for
processing and displaying them, and I expect to make such systems in the
future that lack all of that *and* the slick FTS for manuals.

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981