Re: "rcutil" - a script to monitor status of daemons started in rc.d

Hi,

> Attached is a script that checks to see what daemons in rc.d have
> rcvar=YES, and then runs "/etc/rc.d/XXXX status" to see if the daemon
> is running.  I use this to "sanity check" a box, like after it's run
> out of swap and has randomly killed who-knows-what.  It can also be run
> out of cron or snmpd to test whether all the configured daemons on a box
> are running.
>
> Since the original version was released in 2005, it's been updated to
> do some extra parsing for cases where the rcvar name in the script is
> not the same as the filename (like "nfs_server" in rc.d/nfsd).
>
> The careful consistency and code re-use of the NetBSD rc.d system is
> what makes this utility possible.
Tom Rhodes from FreeBSD had the same goal, but a different approach, when
writing fscd(8) for FreeBSD (you have to google it, it's not in the system).
Imho that is the more sophisticated, but also more complicated solution for
that task.

I've contacted him with the approach to rewrite it, improve usability a bit,
and make it suite NetBSD.
But then, a script that would simplify this task much was refused, so I went
on for FreeBSD (I have the code, modified several things, but not published
anything yet).
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2011/11/14/msg005790.html

If you're interested in helping/discussing about this, please just drop me a
mail.

Regards, Julian