Re: Why no SIGINFO?

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 05:11:15PM +0100, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 01:13:18PM -0600, Daniel Loffgren wrote:
> > Is there any particularly compelling reason why NetBSD's mv, cp,
> > et al. don't respond to siginfo? I am more than willing to write
> > it.
>
> To me, it would be more useful to add SIGINFO support to cvs. cp
> is normally fast enough to not need a progress report.

Slight counterpoint to the above: sometimes I do find myself waiting for
a lengthy cp.  Sometimes I also wish for a progress indication while I
wait, but more often I daydream about faster copies through a couple of
improvements to NetBSD:

1) a multithreaded cp(1) that issues enough simultaneous reads/writes
   that the disk-scheduling algorithm can work at top efficiency

2) lazy copies: a filesystem with "copy-on-write" inodes & blocks and a
   cp(1) that can take advantage

Dave

--
David Young