Re: disklabel(8) allows addressing non-existent space

>> Imho the current way of having to deal with an editor and a
>> calculator, or the interactive mode [...]
> Why do you need a calculator?

Well, I didn't write the double-quoted text above, but, speaking
personally, I'd want the calculator to do arithmetic like "I want this
partition to start 2^22 sectors before the start value printed here,
so...".  I don't have 2^22 memorized, and, while I could work it out
(hmm, a four times 1048576...41752^H304) and then do the arithmetic in
my head, I am less likely to make an error doing it with a calculator.
(Check that number above...okay, _that_'s why I want a calculator!)

I'd still rather disklabel had a way to specify things like "this
partition should have this size and should end at the beginning of this
other partition", since then the chance of error is reduced even
further.  (Perhaps it can even do that these days.  I don't know; the
most recent disklabel I've tried to use is 5.1's.)  But, until
disklabel has the ability for its user to do arithmetic on input, a
calculator still borders on essential IMO for all but the most
rudimentary uses.

\ / Ribbon Campaign