Re: base lua vs. pkgsrc lua

Thomas Klausner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I notice there's a perfectly fine lua interpreter in base now, but
> pkgsrc can't accept it as a replacement for lang/lua because it
> doesn't look in /usr/pkg/lib/lua/5.1.
>
> Can someone please explain the rationale for this decision?

Hmm, no replies?

Since I wasn't involved in this, I can only express my own opinion.
Tools in base should not pick things from /usr/pkg in general. There
are systems with perl/python/etc in base (or kind of "base") but yet
pkgsrc builds it's own versions. Lua is smaller than those languages
and it's in NetBSD base (unlike others) so an exception can be made
but in this case LUA_PATH and LUA_CPATH should be checked by pkgsrc
framework for a presence of ${PREFIX}/lib/lua/${LUA_VERSION} when
${USE_BUILTIN.lua} is yes.

Alex