Re: web inherits UNIX console?

On 30 September 2011 06:22, Mouse <mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost> wrote:
>>> This reinvents some of the worst problems of GUI interfaces:
>>> specifically, unscriptability and the inability to manipulate things
>>> that cannot be displayed.
>> Something that I can manipulate that I cannot display---is that a
>> riddle? :-)  Seriously, I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
>
> Anything that does not have a useful display form.  A compiled
> executable and a multi-gigabyte file of pretty-much-anything are the
> first two examples that come to mind.
>
> Traditional Unix does not display such things without sokme kind of
> explicit comkmand to do so; it displays references to them - most
> often, names of files they are stored in.
>
>> Regarding (1), the UNIX principles: you don't actually get to use
>> your preferred tool, and lots of tools are less specialized than they
>> may appear.  $EDITOR is a great example of this.  The essential
>> $EDITOR functions (move cursor & viewport, insert & delete text) are
>> replicated all over the system.
>
> They are.  But rather than have a half-dozen editors, a few of which
> you can replace and most of which are specialized to be especially good
> at editing for a particular purpose, you propose to replace them all
> with one editor which you can't replace at all and which, since it is
> necessarily one-size-fits-all, is at best mediocre for most tasks.
>
>> Everything from the shell to the web browser to your preferred
>> $EDITOR embed one or more editors that are not $EDITOR, and usually
>> you cannot replace those editors with $EDITOR.
>
> This is one reason firefox drove me nuts (at work, that being the only
> time I use GUI Web crap) until I discovered It's All Text, which _does_
> let you use $EDITOR.  (So far it hasn't been worth it to me to hack
> anything of the sort into lynx, that being what I use on the few
> occasions I want to Web at non-work.  I certainly could if I cared to
> bother.)
>
> I'm not sure what I think of the shell issue.  One of my points in this
> thread has been (and is) that no single editor is suited to all editing
> tasks - my shell _is_ my preferred editor, for its tasks.
>
>> $PAGER is a stripped-down $EDITOR, too.
>
> You could look at it that way.  And, if you wanted to and your editor
> supported it, there's no reason you couldn't set $PAGER to run $EDITOR
> with the appropriate options to tune it for those tasks.
>
>> A web browser contains two or three editors, at least.
>
> This is a reason to fix (or not use) web browsers, not a reason to
> repeat the mistake.
>
>> Embedding editors with different powers and key bindings throughout
>> the system leads to complexity, inconsistency, and user frustration.
>
> When done wrong.  When done right, it leads to smooth integration,
> similarities where they're useful and difference where _they_'re
> useful.  Take, for example, the editor I use for composing email and
> the editor I use for command lines.  In each case, a number of commands
> [...]

These is slip.

This could be actually quite elegant solution to the problem which
ties many systems to the teletype emulation.

On one side many systems lack graphics hardware. On the other, the
teletype emulation that works without graphics hardware cannot display
anything but text. No real alternative exists, terminals that can
display graphics also require graphics to run.

If the terminal output was exported through something that can work
with both text-only and graphics (html+js proposed in this case) you
can view the terminal either locally degraded to text only or on a
morecapable machine with graphics included.

Thanks

Michal