Re: web inherits UNIX console?

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 09:54:19PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 12:04:11PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> > An idea that I keep turning over in my head and cannot put to rest is
> > that the web already has a lot better console abstraction, in the form
> > of DOM, than the glass teletype that UNIX uses now.  Maybe we should
> > switch?
>
> Sorry, I can't follow. I can write JS code to create a table, add it as
> a childeNode to some div and fill in all of autoconfig output there -
> but I'm sure you do not mean to replace aprint_* calls in our drivers
> with such code.
>
> So what do you mean? I guess "console" does mean something very different
> to you in this context than to me...

I guess that my meaning was more at "terminal" than "console."

I'm asking for you to imagine what would be possible if the display and
input capabilities of a terminal were the capabilities of a web browser
instead of a glass teletype.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 344-0444 x24