Re: introduce getlabelusesmbr()

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 09:18:01PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:49:53PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > Hello,
> > the evbmips supports more and more different hardware platforms,
> > and we're now to the point where some evbmips platforms wants
> > a mbr, while others don't.
>
> How much does it really matter?
> It is likely that all systems will have to access disks that have MBR
> (eg USB connected disks) as well as those that don't (alien disks
> from other machines formatted without MBR).
>
> There may be constraints on the boot disk, but that is an installation
> time issue.

In my case this is especially for installations issues.
With the actual evbmips code I trashed my MBR when I first tried to
write a disklabel to the NetBSD partition.
There is #ifdef code in disklabel which has to be turned into a
runtime check.

> The other problem is with the 'c' and 'd' disk partitions.

No that's not a problem, several ports are using MBRs with raw part being 2.