Re: Extended attributes and archives (tar, cpio, mpax, makefs...)

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 06:05:23PM -0400, Mouse wrote:
> > sftp might be a bit more complicated,
>
> It's a hell of a lot more complicated.
>
> At least, unless scp is a lot more than just rcp over ssh, which is
> what I thought it was, basically.

Well, sftp is bit more like ftp (without the separate data connection).

> > but at least some an implementation PoV, scp is just crap.
>
> So one particular implementation of it is crap.  That's a reason to not
> use that implementation.  It is not a reason to throw out the protocol
> baby with the implementation bathwater.

My basic problem with scp is that it can't deal with a lot of common
issues. File permissions, symlinks etc. So for most non-trivial use
cases, you have to support both protocols and that makes scp a lot less
useful.

Joerg