Re: config file formats

(I am not subscribed to this list, so please cc me in replies.)

   Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2011 04:49:00 +000
   From: David Holland <dholland-tech%NetBSD.org@localhost>

   Not entirely; it is convenient for the header to be a comment but not
   particularly necessary. Making it a comment just saves the config
   parser the trouble of skipping over it explicity.

If the newfangled markers look like comments, existing parsers might
happily gobble up the files and perhaps only later find them
indigestible in subtle ways.  (The story of the 500-mile email comes
to mind.)  But if the newfangled markers don't look like comments,
then existing parsers are likely to choke immediately and alert you to
failure early.