Re: GSoC Project Status Update: Apropos Replacement

2011/6/21 Jukka Ruohonen <>:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:57:55PM +0530, Abhinav Upadhyay wrote:
>> A more detailed information on my blog post:
> Just a footnote. I'll quote the above blog entry:
>  "Handling .Nm macros: .Nm macros seem to be special in the syntax of man
>   pages. From what I have seen, the argument for the .Nm macro is
>   specified only at the beginning of the man page (usually the NAME
>   section) and after that if at any place in the rest of the man page
>   .Nm macros is used, the parser will replace it with its original
>   value specified previously at the top.  So at the present moment, we
>   are unable to handle this. So wherever .Nm macros is used again, it
>   is being simply ignored."
> I recall having a discussion with Thomas about this and neither of us were
> that keen on using anything but a single .Nm as an identifier. So the above
> sounds right to me. Take something like pmf(9): a big, paragraph-like,
> .Nm-list just clutters the page and should be removed, IMO. I think those
> multiple .Nm's were used because of the primitiveness of apropos(1).
> - Jukka.

I don't have much say on this topic as I am very new and not much
aware of the issues existing with man(1) and related utilities. For
the above quoted problem I had opened an issue on Github:
( and
I have fixed it as well. :-)

This is the commit:

Thanks for shedding some light on this topic. I appreciate it. :-)