Re: bumping library major on release branch?

Manuel Bouyer <> wrote:

> > I would like to backport extended attribute support in libpuffs from
> > -current to netbsd-5. Unfortunately a structure grew, which means that
> > it would require bumping library major on the release branch.
> It's really something we want to avoid as much as possible.
> library major change in X11 has delayed the 5.1 release for example.

Another approach is to introduce an alternate structure and associated
calls in -current, and pullup that to netbsd-5

The offending structure is struct puffs_ops, it is used in

I can add struct puffs_ops52, and associated calls:

I understand it is not very appealing. If anyone has a better idea...

Emmanuel Dreyfus