Re: Some powerd(8) defaults

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 07:21:40AM +0300, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
 > On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 08:15:20PM -0400, Matthew Mondor wrote:
 > > My opinion here is that cron(8) should always run
 >
 > The rationale here was that some services like cron(8) are so heavy
 > that these will have a direct impact on power consumption.

The big problem isn't cron, it's atrun. Some years back I started
converting atrun into its own daemon, to allow it to wake up only to
run jobs instead of being fired off regularly and spewing syslog
messages. I don't remember what happened to the (half-done) patches
but if anyone wants to take it up I can probably find them.

still, being able to turn certain things off while running on battery
is a good idea.

 > (Logging itself is another question; I would recommend mounting the whole
 > /var/log as tmpfs on battery-powered systems.)

...and doesn't syslogd have some voodoo so one can tell it not to
fsync each and every message?

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost