Re: Linker and inter-library dependencies

Marc Balmer <marc%msys.ch@localhost> writes:

> I am having some trouble with inter-library dependencies.
>
> A small C programs links against
> /usr/pkg/java/openjdk7/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so.  libjava.so itself has
> some dependencies, which are found in the same directory as libjava.so
> itself and the client/ directory below:
>
> netbsd5# ldd libjava.so
>
> libjava.so:
>         -ljvm => not found
>         -lverify => not found
>         -lc.12 => /usr/lib/libc.so.12

I'd say that library is broken and needs to have rpath added to it.

> In my Makefile, I add the respective directories in which all shared
> libraries can be found to the runtime linker search path using the -R
> option:

I'm not sure, but I think -R on your link only affects searching for
libs your program needs, and doesn't get passed through to the ones
needed by libjava.so.

LD_LIRRARY_PATH or LD_PRELOAD might help if your goal is to get
something working fast.