Re: Some powerd(8) defaults

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 01:55:23PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> I'd prefer if there was a simple configuration file (e.g. sourced by the
> scripts) to control this without having to modify the scripts. With
> that, it would actually be a sane idea to move the scripts to /libexec.

I like this idea. Something like rc.conf(5).

Putting the scripts to /libexec would also hide the machine-dependent
ugliness that users should not need to worry about.

> >   2. By default, stop/start the cron(8) deamon upon changes in the AC
> > adapter.
> >      This behavior is already in the script, but it was commented out.
>
> Don't, please. Consider an option for cron to be stop logging.

Ok.

> It would be preferable here to add support for cancelling a shutdown.
> That way "shutdown -p now" could be replaced with "shutdown -p +1" and
> adds some useful independent feature...

Again an option in place of "now" sounds indeed fine. Note though that with
acpibat(4) there is a warning-type event before the actual "shutdown" event.

> >   5. Even though NetBSD also lacks an uniform interface to control the
> >      display brightness levels, use the acpivga(4)'s sysctls (and possibly
> >      other MD sysctls) to set the brightness to, say, 75 % when the AC
> >      adapter is disconnected, and set it back to 100 % when the power cord
> >      is again plugged.
>
> No opinion on this, but I have hardware that already does it...

Some x86 systems may indeed do this, mostly during the execution of ACPI
machine code. This also demonstrates the difficulty of choosing the
defaults in the current MD-dominated settings. (But actually, macallan@ and
gsutre@ were working on moving this to wsconsctl(8), but I don't know what
happened to the patches.)

- Jukka.