Re: cp -n diff

On Thu, 5 May 2011 14:45:27 +0200
Zafer Aydoğan <zafer%aydogan.de@localhost> wrote:
> pax is only in the base system of NetBSD.

Which is the system we are discussing.

> Its third party for the rest, whereas cp is the same across all.

Actually, it's not the same.  This thread has even shown a difference
between the way Linux and FreeBSD implemented the option in question.

> Although I can do things with pax that fulfil this task, it fits in cp.

That's the one thing that I haven't yet seen in this thread.  What's
the use case for the -n option?  I can understand not copying over a
newer file but I can't quite wrap my head around not copying because a
file of the same name exists.  I have no doubt that there is a purpose
but it eludes me.

> Also I don't understand the general rejection because it
> may be "duplicative" because I could use "pax".

There are lots of developers in NetBSD.  Some of them will resist every
new feature that doesn't have a very clear, unduplicated use.  This is
a good thing.  It's also good that some people want to shove as many
features as possible into every tool.  The interaction between these
two coupled with the leveling influence of people in the middle helps
keep us on an even keel as a project without stagnating.

> I could use anything I want to.
> "Don't use this, because you could use that."
> What kind of thinking is that ?

I think that you are paraphrasing a bit too loosely here.  It's more
"Don't implement this because we already have that."  You may still
disagree with the sentiment but argue what people are actually saying.

> There are many apps in base to accomplish the same goal.
> Should we now strip them all down to be not redundant ?
> Isn't the general goal to keep NetBSD usable ? For everyone ?

This is bordering on hyperbole.  It sounds like you are taking this
discussion personally. Please don't do that.  No one will think that
you are a bad person just because you floated an idea that wasn't
accepted by everyone.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/