Re: cp -n diff

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 09:37:29PM +0200, Zafer Aydoğan wrote:
> 2011/5/3 Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost>:
> > On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 08:30:35PM +0200, Zafer Aydoğan wrote:
> >> Hello list,
> >>
> >> attached is a patch that implements the -n option for cp, which skips
> >> existing
> >> files on the target.
> >
> > Please, no. Just use the right tool for the job.
> >
> > Joerg
> >

> by "right tools" I suppose you refer to pax.
> Clearly, there could be tons of other tools to accomplish this task,
> but thats not my point. I would like to enrich cp of a feature that
> it is clearly missing in NetBSD.

No, it is not missing. How can it be a missing feature, if it is already
implemented. You are using the wrong tool. Don't overload cp(1) with
things that simple don't belong into it. This is not Perl, there is no
reason for having hundred different ways to do the same thing. This is
especially true if some of them are clearly inferior to others.

Joerg