Re: Adding -l option to cp

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 05:02:12AM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> > It should be possible to attempt linking earlier, before from_fd and
> > to_fd are opened.  If linking fails, it should fall through to
> > copying.
>
> Yes, I did try to think of better ways but it always seemed more
> convoluted.  As for falling back to copying, I'm not so sure.
> Certainly I need it to fail in my application.  I am also trying to
> keep the actual behaviour as the other systems.

Falling back to copying is somewhat a PITA.
Anyone who has tried to rename a directory on cygwin - and had it start
trying to copy the tree because the rename failed will know....

Actually I'm not really clear when it is useful to generate a second
directory tree with hard links yo the original?
Poor mans union filesystem??

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost