Re: Replacing usr.bin/grep with the version from FreeBSD

On Sun Oct 24 2010 at 16:18:05 -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 07:13:49PM +0300, Antti Kantee wrote:
> > On Sun Oct 24 2010 at 18:01:33 +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > any objection to integrate the current BSD grep version from FreeBSD?
> > > It is supposed to be working for almost all cases as GNU grep
> > > replacement. It is slower in some cases (which might be fixed by TRE),
> > > but it should generally be in a much better shape than the current code
> > > we have.
> >
> > It doesn't handle everything GNU grep handles and it is slower?  For a
> > user that does not qualify as "much better shape".
>
> The grep currently in our tree is not GNU grep -- is it?

Dunno what you mean by "our tree", I just know I can spend 2s to find
out the following:

pain-rustique:1:~> uname -a
NetBSD pain-rustique.localhost 5.1_RC4 NetBSD 5.1_RC4 (PAIN-RUSTIQUE) #1: Tue
Oct 12 13:37:42 CEST 2010
pooka%pain-rustique.localhost@localhost:/objs/kobj/PAIN-RUSTIQUE i386
pain-rustique:2:~> grep --version
grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 nb1

Copyright 1988, 1992-1999, 2000, 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.