Re: floating point test suite ?

On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 10:25:25AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

>   I strongly suspect that the MIPS floating point emulation has some
>   issues (the numbers printed by top makes no sense, and sometimes
>   it hangs because the computed time to sleep makes no sense either).
>
>   Do we have some floating point test suite around (or something available
>   from pkgsrc) ?
>
> benchmarks/paranoia
>
> not a full test suite, but you should definitely run it.

thanks, this is a good starting point. MIPS floating point emulation
is definitively brocken:
The number of  FAILUREs  encountered =       3.
The number of  SERIOUS DEFECTs  discovered = 1.
The number of  DEFECTs  discovered =         4.
The number of  FLAWs  discovered =           2.

There is also issues with floating point printing, e.g.
What the machine gets for (Z + Z) / Z is  2.Døÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿe+00 .

this needs to be investigated, but I know ~nothing about
floating point arithmetic, I'll need to find some documentation
about this before doing any serious work.