Re: CVS commit: src/games/factor

Steven Bellovin <> writes:

>>> Aleksej, Joerg is correct by definition.  It's as simple as
>>> that.  0 and 1 are not prime.  Full-stop.
>> Kristaps, Joerg is incorrect by definition. It is as simple as that.
>> 0 and 1 are prime. Full-stop.
> From "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers", by Niven, Zuckerman, and
> Montgomery, Fifth Edition, 1991:
>       An integer p > 1 is called a prime number, or a prime, in case there is
> no divisor d of p satisfying 1 < d < p.
> Knuth, Vol. 2, Third Edition, implicitly says that 1 is not a prime.

You did read the discussion, didn't you?

I asked explicitly to avoid mere proclamations and provide rationale
behind accepted definitions.

"An x is called square root of y, in case y >= 0 and x*x = y.
(Consequently square root of negative number doesn't exist by definition.)"

If you wish, I know rationale behind the definition above, but it has
nothing to do with correctness of factorization or its uniqueness
as Joerg tried to "prove".