Re: cross-building dtrace from Mac OS X - echo vs. \n

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 06:24:46AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Trying to cross-build -current with dtrace on OS X Snow Leopard fails.
> src/external/cddl/osnet/lib/libdtrace/Makefile creates a dt_errtags.c
> file that has (literally):
>
>       /*\n * Copyright 2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.\n *
> Use is subject to license terms.\n */\n\n#pragma ident\t"%Z%%M%\t%I%\t%E%
> SMI"\n\n#include <dt_errtags.h>
>       \nstatic const char *const _dt_errtags[] = {
>
> The problem here is that
> src/external/cddl/osnet/dist/lib/libdtrace/common/mkerrtags.sh tries to
> be smart about "echo", but fails. On OS X, it runs plain "echo", but as
> Sonw Leopard's echo apparently prints out "\n" literally, the above
> output results. IIRC this was different with Mac OS X Leopard.

I think we fixed this in our local tree.  We might have missed a couple
of these fixes when contributing the work back to NetBSD-current.

I believe Darran's away for a few days.  I like fix #2, personally but I
wonder if all likely build platforms have a printf executable these days.

Thor