Re: rc.subr: Passing extra arguments to run_rc_command

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 10:32:56PM +0000, Julio Merino wrote:
 > > ?> In the rc.d script for monotone, I defined a custom command called
 > > ?> 'genkey' that initializes a private key pair for the server, and
 > > ?> another command called 'read' that takes a file and passes it to
 > > ?> monotone.
 > >
 > > I guess my first question would be whether these really need to be
 > > rc.d operations...
 >
 > To me, it makes perfect sense to keep all the server-management logic
 > into the rc.d script.  This is no different than the sshd script
 > generating server keys the first time it is run, except that the set
 > up process is done explicitly to have some control over it.

Well, it is different in that the sshd thing is and reasonably can be
automatic.

I'm not sure I disagree with your intent, but it seems like a
reasonable alternative is to provide a separate control or setup
script or something, if the package doesn't already have one. (E.g.,
apache has apachectl, postgres has pg_ctl, etc.) It makes sense to
make the standard operations available via rc.d script, but I'm not
sure it's really worthwhile for others.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost