Re: RFC: Constant Database Support

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 02:08:39PM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>
> > from the name I first assumed it is compatible with DJB's cdb[1] and
> > tinycdb[2], but from your description I think it is different?
>
> It is not. DJB's cdb has a number of critical flaws. cdb itself is just
> a very generic name... I don't care about the color much...

The color may not be important, but _please_ don't install a library
called "cdb" in base when we have something in pkgsrc that has installed
a library by the same name since 2001.

You also mentioned:

> ... Creation time drops from 1.9s to 0.23s
> on AMD64.

Do you have any info on lookup times?  This is for write-only read-many
databases, so that would be a more important metric for me.

Also, do you have an example of how the reader (libc/net/getservent_r.c?)
would look?

Cheers,
Simon.