Re: "-L" for wc(1)

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> the attached patch adds a "-L" option to wc(1), similar to what FreeBSD
> and Linux support. Any objections against commit it?

I have my own script for that feature (I never thought of extending
wc(1) for that) but I also show the line number of the longest line too.

I don't object, but maybe the manual page should indicate it is a
non-standard feature so someone writing portable programs doesn't use
it. (See the man pages COMPATIBILITY and STANDARDS sections).

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/wc.html