Re: FreeBSD i18n fonts for wscons

Geert Hendrickx <ghen%telenet.be@localhost> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 08:35:06AM +0100, Adam Hamsik wrote:
>> On Jan,Tuesday 19 2010, at 11:14 PM, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>> > Yes, you're right.  FreeBSD's syscons(4) console driver has the ability
>> > to transparantly map codepoints between (compatible) charsets to avoid
>> > this problem, so applications don't have to care about it.  This mapping
>> > can be loaded via vidcontrol(1) (their equivalent of wsconsctl(1)),
>> > together with the font.
>> >

>> > Is this something we'd want in NetBSD as well?  It could serve as a nice
>> > little introduction into the kernel for me. :-)
>>
>> Please add it to gsoc projects page then ? maybe it will interest some
>> student this year.

Our font code is rather convoluted.  See the funny wsfont_map_unichar
and pcdisplay_mapchar dances.

> But can we already import the fonts from FreeBSD?  With that, we can offer
> functional support for other languages in wscons(4) without code changes.

I don't see why not import them.  The way they are dealt with
internally is a totally different matter.

SY, Uwe
--
uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost                       |       Zu Grunde kommen
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen