Re: Adding the "links" text mode web browser to the base system

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 01:19:52PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
 > The NetBSD base system includes HTML versions of man pages, and
 > several other HTML files.  However, it does not include an application
 > capable of displaying such files.

That is why it includes text versions of those files. The HTML files
are there as a convenience for users who have installed a browser from
pkgsrc.

 > I would like to add the "links" text mode web browser to the NetBSD
 > base system.  It has a GPLv2 licence, and I would add it under
 > src/external/gpl2/links, and make it install as /usr/bin/links.
 > A MKLINKS build-time option could prevent building it.  The i386
 > executable is 1064887 bytes unstripped, 1009916 bytes stripped.

That is rather large for base, especially since including it in base
serves no purpose. Why not install it from pkgsrc? (Or better yet, why
not install a real browser from pkgsrc?)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost