Re: Adding the "links" text mode web browser to the base system

Am 31.10.2009 um 15:12 schrieb der Mouse:

The NetBSD base system includes HTML versions of man pages, and
several other HTML files.  However, it does not include an
application capable of displaying such files.

I would like to add the "links" text mode web browser to the NetBSD
base system.

I think a much better fix would be to eliminate the HTML files.  Their
content is available in much more readable forms elsewhere; an HTML
reader is not needed to read manpages, just to read those particular
manglings of them.

I second that.  HTML manual pages have no benefit.

If we add a browser to base, then we should add mozzila firefox, not some half-assed text based piece of crap like links...

Internet in textmode? Come one get real, the times of ASCII porn are gone..

(I have nothing against supporting transforming manpages into HTML,
provided the proper conversion programs are installed. I see no reason
to do so by default, I question why base is even capable of doing so,
and I think it's a really bad idea to use that mistake to justify
adding a web browser to base. Base isn't - or shouldn't be, at least -
"everything anyone might want"; if you want Linux you know where to
find it.  Base should be, well, the _base_ system, a solid foundation
on which to build.)

\ / Ribbon Campaign
X  Against HTML