Re: Lua as a scripting language in NetBSD

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 12:12:22AM +0300, Antti Kantee wrote:
> On Sun Oct 18 2009 at 07:53:09 +1100, Simon Burge wrote:
> > Adam Hoka wrote:
> >
> > > You forgot the most important: the ability to cross compile the
> > > interpreter, which rules out perl( and I think python too).
> >
> > What is that statement based on?  In $PREVIOUSJOB we didn't
> > cross-compile perl, but we did cross-compile a number of different
> > programs.  Some were not as easy as some (php5 comes to mind), but
> > that sort of statement needs a bit of clarification.
>
> Wasn't perl one of the succesful examples in Krister's pkgsrc crossbuild
> project?

Perl with the upstream build system defines "cross-compiling" as using
ssh or similar means to run certain parts on the target system. For the
specific scope of NetBSD it might be possible to write cross-over rules
and build a native miniperl for the rest, but it is a heck lot of work.

Joerg