Re: -Wl,-L and -L

In article <20090815012538.GA1558%britannica.bec.de@localhost>,
Joerg Sonnenberger  <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
>Hi all,
>while working on the pkgsrc wrappers I started to wonder why one would
>ever want to use -Wl,-L instead of plain -L. I can't think of a reason,
>but maybe someone else can enlighten me? E.g. why should it be left
>alone instead of converting it to the plain -L?

It is not a big problem. -L has always been undestood by the compiler driver
as a linker flag, but -R has not (some implementations have it, some have not)
so you are forced to use -Wl,-R but not forced to use -Wl,-L. Some people
prefer -Wl,-L for symmetry and clarity, but I think it is just clutter.

christos