Re: xmltools status and (future) integration into base

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:48:08AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:10:36AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> >
> > Since they are interesting for other parties as well, there should be a
> > pkgsrc pkg for them.
>
> Sure, but that doesn't answer the question of where they should live in
> the NetBSD source tree.  The point of these tools was to make dealing
> with XML in the base system easier.  I think they should go in src,
> where it's simplest for other developers to work on them.

I've been using src/external/bsd for netpgp and the iscsi code - it
makes it easier for me to have the portable autoconf-ed source under
the dist directory in there, to make package releases out of there,
and to use reachover Makefiles at the same level as dist for our own
tree.

I don't know if anyone else likes my doing things this way, and it's
definitely not the way src/external was envisaged when it was first
set up, but I really like it.

If people are really against its "abuse" like this (a) why haven't you
spoken up sooner?, and (b) I'm quite prepared to move it somewhere
else, but you'll have to work really hard to convince me to make the
move now.

Regards,
Alistair