Re: Add a minimal instance of named early in the boot

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> The full-featured name server just has to not bind explicitly to
> localhost. Using wild card address is fine, as the more specific bind
> will handle the data in that case.

Well, yes, but what can I put in named.conf to have that effect?
Ordinarily, named does not bind to the wildcard address, it tries to
discover all addresses and bind a separate socket to each address.

OK, if I run two named instances, one explicitly on localhost and the
other implicitly on all addresses, then the second one does work,
despite printing complaints in the log.

> There is another alternative I just remembered. Adding support for
> liblwres via nsswitch.conf.

That would be worthwhile.  I suggest that /etc/rc.d/resolver should
switch from running named to running lwresd when somebody makes that
work.

--apb (Alan Barrett)