Re: Add a minimal instance of named early in the boot

Salut, Alan,

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 02:42:24PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
>  * Early in the boot, run an instance of named with a minimal
>    configuration that makes it act only as a caching resolver
>    providing service to the local host.  This is done in a new
>    rc.d script, /etc/rc.d/resolver.
>
>  * Run ntpdate after that caching resolver has started.  This is
>    done in /etc/rc.d/ntpdate, almost exactly as before, but now
>    "resolver" is added to the REQUIRE list.

Perfect, thanks a lot!

>  * Run a full-featured instance of named later, and kill the
>    minimal instance of named when the full-featured instance
>    starts.  This is done in /ec/rc.d/named, much as before, but
>    now with "REQUIRE: SERVERS ntpdate", as compared with the old
>    "REQUIRE: SERVERS", or the "REQUIRE: NETWORKING mountcritremote
>    syslogd" that was introduced in a recent change by Perry.

I don't think letting it run harms a lot. A recursive nameserver
should be exported to localhost only by default, and can be
configured differently. An authoritative name server should listen
to external IPs mostly as far as I can tell, so it doesn't really
clash. Therefor, I don't think killing it is appropriate or right.

                                Tonnerre