Re: strtonum(3) from OpenBSD?

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 10:48:39PM +0200, Marc Balmer wrote:

> almost everything that has been brought up against having strtonum in
> libc is present in strsuftoll(x):  it returns long long, it uses a
> string for error reports, it does not support i18n etc....  So all the
> arguments gainst strtonum are somewhat void.

Um, no.  As I said earlier, NetBSD's libc does not need to be the _union_
of every mistake anyone has ever made in libc in any other Unix-like
operating sytstem.

It is unquestionably the case that there is bad code in NetBSD.  That does
not in any way go to justify adding more bad code to NetBSD.

There has been nearly unanimous opposition from other developers to adding
this particular code to NetBSD's libc.  I suggest that unless core, who are
the relevant technical management, say it's okay to add, it would really be
about the time to drop the subject, for now.

Thor