Re: pci wireless network adapter

George Georgalis <george%galis.org@localhost> wrote:

> Looking at ral(4) I see lots of pci adapters that should give a
> netbsd box access to a local wifi network.

I've used Atheros (refer ath(4)) based TP-Link TL-WN651G cards
on NetBSD 4.0/i386 systems with success (including WPA-PSK and
WPA-PSK2 support):

    http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=17

    # ifconfig ath0
    ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (OFDM24 mode 11g)
        status: active

(Yeah, wireless signal strength where that box is located
isn't great; it looks particularly poor this morning.  But
this email is coming to you via that link, and it stays up.)

> On my first pass I'm guessing the Belkin F5D7000 will be the
> best option as far as cost, compatibility, delivery time and
> availability.

I have not tried that card, or any of the ral(4) cards in fact,
so can say nothing for or against them.

Your location will influence availablity ... I'm in Oz where
the TP-Link cards are well distributed.

Cheers,

Giles