Re: Adding a simple editor to the base system

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 08:42:33PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> One configuration question on ee is the keybindings.  It has its own
> default bindings, or can use emacs bindings:
> I'm inclined to suggest emacs bindings, just as they are more commonly
> used.

Yes, please use the emacs keybindings!  I tried ee for five minutes and
found it very confusing (almost frustrating) to use because its default
keybindings are not similar to anything else I've ever used.

Otherwise, I think it's a good idea to add an "intuitive" (rather than
"easy") editor to the base system.  Remotely assisting an on-site person
over the phone to make some changes being the best (and not even desktop
related) argument I've heard so far.

(However, I do think using vi is an essential skill for any UNIX admin,
and I still remember the first chapter of the book I used when first
learning UNIX was "editing files with vi".  I have used vi ever since.)