Re: Adding a simple editor to the base system

Hello David,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 08:42:33PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
>       I think we should be including ee, and updating our
>       documentation to mention it as the suggested editor for
>       new users. I use vi as my editor of choice, but it is
>       unreasonable to expect a new user to sit down and learn vi
>       before they can even edit their rc.conf to enable ssh.
I could not argue against that (you're right, vi(1) could be a high
barrier for a new NetBSD user that previously used a different editor).

However, I also think that the "average" NetBSD user does not like these
kind of tools in the base system.

There could be a compromise: could a specific installation set for
these programs added (something called ``utilities.tgz'' of course, "on"
by default but easily to not select for the "average" user)?

``utilities.tgz'' could contain, as other users requested, useful
programs (but not always suitable for non-desktop users) like a web
browser.

And, in this way, the entire community (desktop and non-desktop) will be
happy (hopefully). :-)

It's just an opinion.

Ciao, Leonardo
--