Re: make debugging output

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:57:46AM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 16:53:09 +0200
> Alan Barrett <> wrote:
> > By default, make(1)'s debugging output goes to stdout.  Would it be OK
> > to change the default to go to stderr?
> I think that's reasonable, but with an important caveat: I think that
> stdio should be set to be line-buffered in that case, to maintain
> synchronization with debugging output.

Actually making the 'stdout' output of most of these tools line-buffered
helps in other cases (eg when piped to tee, or written to a file that
has tail runing on it).
The cpu cost difference is probably immeasurable if any real work is
being done.

(cvs also block buffers stdout :-( ...)

David Laight: